I listen to a lot of podcasts. I listen while walking the dog, or mowing the lawn, or even–if I remember my headphones–while I’m grocery shopping. Sometimes, when I just can’t deal with the news anymore, I turn off NPR and turn on a podcast.
So I love when I find a podcast that’s been around for awhile but is new to me. It means there’s an extensive archive for me to work through while I wait for new episodes of my old favorites. Lately, the podcast I’m binging is The Dollop with Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds. Each week Dave tells Gareth a story from history and hilarity ensues.
It’s a fun way to learn about history–or, sometimes, more current events–especially the little known stories of individuals who are nearly lost to history. Here are some of my favorites…
- The Newsie Strike — If you love street urchins, mob violence, and want to learn a bit about why collective bargaining is so important, listen to this episode. It’s nothing like this…
- Edward Clarke vs. Girls — Ladies, do you want to feel better about the run-of-the-mill sexism you face as a modern woman? Want to put that guy who told you to smile in perspective? Listen to this one.
- Purity Balls — I mean… c’mon, you know you’ve always wanted to know more about these creepy rituals
- Forgotten Fleet Walker — Move over Jackie Robinson.
- Uber — It’s basically a commercial for Lyft, because if you still use Uber after listening to this episode, you’re a bad person.